When I bought my first yoga mat I didn’t really think about having ever to clean it. But since you are here with me know you probably know how damn dirty (and smelly!) these things can get! Unfortunately you can’t simply throw your yoga mat in the washing machine together with all your yoga clothes. Luckily there are natural and homemade yoga mat cleaners that help to keep your yoga mat squeaky clean and fresh so you don’t have to keep sniffing your smelly mat every time you go into Downward-Facing Dog.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales if you make a purchase using this link. The price does NOT change for you as a result of this.
Why Make Your Own Yoga Mat Cleaner?
First of all, let’s talk about why you would make your own yoga mat cleaner. After all there are enough yoga mat sprays for sale. If you simply want to buy and spray you can just go ahead and take a look at the Manduka Organic Yoga Mat Cleaner on Amazon, for example. However, there are plenty of reasons to make your own yoga mat cleaner:
- It’s so easy, your dog could do it
- You know what’s in it
- You know it’s natural and organic (given that you use natural and organic ingredients, of course)
- You can pick ingredients with certain properties (e. g. antibacterial and antifungal properties)
- You can create your own scent (if you want to)
- It’s much cheaper
Convinced? Then let’s go ahead, and I’ll share some recipes with you so you can give your yoga mat a much needed swipe-down after every yoga session.
These DIY Yoga Mat Sprays will Completely Change the Way You Clean Your Mat!
Depending on which ingredients you have ready at home one of the following DIY yoga mat recipes definitely will be something for you.
1. Simple and Natural Yoga Mat Spray with Tea Tree Oil
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp tea tree oil
- 10-30 drops essential oil of your choice (e. g. peppermint, lavender, thyme)
Mix all the ingredients above in a spray bottle, and shake well. Give your mat a good spray-down on both sides and wait for a couple of minutes. Then wipe it down with a damp cloth and let it dry. Your all done!
Recipe found on LoveSurf Magazine
2. Essential Oil Yoga Mat Cleaner with a Yummy Scent
- 16 oz (2 cups) of water
- 5oz (about 1 ½ cups) of witch hazel (alcohol-free)
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
Mix all the ingredients in a spray bottle. Then shake, spray and wipe!
Recipe found on yogabycandace.com
What I like about this recipe is that all three essential oils are antibacterial, while the peppermint oil and the eucalyptus oil provide a fresh and the lavender oil a relaxing and soothing scent.
What’s your favorite natural yoga mat cleaner recipe? I’d love to hear your insights in the comment section below!
If you want to read more of my blog posts about yoga, why not check out some yoga poses to do before bed?