We all love to have a clear, smooth and radiant skin. But, it so happens that our skin tends to be susceptible to various environmental and hormonal conditions that leads to rashes, acne and/or bumps/patches. One of the most common skin conditions is Keratosis Pilaris (KP) or also known as ‘Chicken Skin’. This usually takes the form of small and rough acne-like bumps and patches in different body parts such as on the cheeks, arms, legs, thighs and buttocks. Although they tend to disappear on their own as you get older, it’s least likely that you’ll be patient enough to wait till this happens.
Coconut oil is one of the best keratosis pilaris natural treatment options available. Despite there being different ways to treat Keratosis Pilaris, the best form of treatment is one that is geared towards implementing the use of natural skin care solutions such as coconut oil, and one whose results are fast and effective (Also read: Top 9 Home Remedies for Keratosis Pilaris). Continue reading to learn more about my favorite all natural keratosis pilaris treatment.
Related Article: Best Over-The-Counter Treatments For Keratosis Pilaris
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission from sales if you make a purchase using this link. The price does NOT change for you as a result of this.
How Does Coconut Oil Help With KP?
Coconut oil, which is rich in lauric acid, is very effective when treating Keratosis Pilaris. Lauric acid helps in breaking up the build up of keratin: keratin is the major cause of KP as it clogs the hair follicles hence leading to the formation of these small and rough bumps. In addition, the oil is rich in both anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties.
The oil is therefore highly efficient in treating as well as in preventing the occurrence of Keratosis Pilaris in the future. In addition, it plays a major role in soothing any underlying inflammations on the skin, reducing redness, sanitizing the skin and moisturizing it.
The reason why it works so well is because it is highly capable of penetrating deep into the skin hence able to treat and heal it from the inside.
How To Naturally Treat Keratosis Pilaris With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the most dynamic oils as it can be used in the preparation of food, treating the skin and, nourishing the hair. In the case of treating Keratosis Pilaris, you have the option of using it topically, or internally. A greater majority of people are more acquainted with the topical application. To go about using the oil topically, this is what you should do.
KP Treatment Instructions
- First, you’ll need to exfoliate your skin in order to remove any dead cells. Exfoliation also ensures that the affected area is clean and ready for treatment.
- Then, after taking a shower, pour a little amount of oil onto your palms and rub it before applying it on to the skin.
- Next, gently massage the oil onto the affected area for a minute. This will ensure that the oil is well spread and that it gets to penetrate deeper into the skin as required. No matter how bad these bumps may be, never apply too much oil. This is because, irrespective of how much you apply, the effect will be the same. Coconut oil is so good to the skin that you don’t even have to apply another layer of moisture afterwards. However, if it’s during the summer, it’s always advisable to apply some screen before going out.
Note: A lot of people have great success by treating keratosis pilaris with coconut oil and apple cider vinegar. After exfoliation, wash the effected area with apple cider vinegar and moisturize with coconut oil afterwards.
Alternatively, you may opt to take the oil internally. The effects of eating virgin coconut oil are very much the same as applying it on to the skin. This therefore gives you the right to choose the method that you’re most comfortable with.
The coconut oil’s positive results can be seen as soon as after three days. The first thing you should notice is a reduction in the size of the bumps as well as the redness. Then, after two to three weeks, you might be once again the proud owner of a beautiful, smooth and radiant skin.
The Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has abundant benefits some of which include:
- It’s 100% natural hence poses no danger to your skin or overall health
- It’s very affordable
- One is presented with the option of either applying it topically or eating it
- The oil is very mild hence can be used by people of all skin types
- There’s a guarantee that the oil really works
In a nutshell, it’s evident that coconut oil can be a very effective treatment for Keratosis Pilaris. And other than it treating this condition, it also sanitizes the skin, moisturizes it and leaves it looking and feeling revitalized.
Which Coconut Oil Should I Use?
I use Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and I heard from many people that they are very satisfied with this brand. Personally, I don’t mind spending the few extra bucks on a high quality product, plus I always buy in bulk anyways. Make sure to use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, though, as it contains more nutrients than the processed oil.